19 August 2007

I have been knee-deep in paperwork, elbow-deep in school supplies, and ear-deep in what seems to be happy anticipation with a slight air of fear. I begin tomorrow working with my fifth and sixth graders and the last two weeks doesn't seem to have prepared me enough. But I am sure I will get through the first day unscathed.

Last week I began a project I have been holding off for quite some time. I suppose this is the best time to start a new art project - a short two months before our studio show. This is my Portland series: a series of work inspired by the people I encountered in Portland. I've been setting aside photos and jotting down ideas for this series and last week I finally rolled up my sleeves and dove in head first. Here are the beginnings. I have never worked this large successfully, so the size is a challenge in itself. This is charcoal, acrylic, and lots of gesso.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

How big is that first one?

Liz Sherwyn said...

42" x 28" or around there. It feels massive when I'm working on it.