01 August 2007

As a kid, you are supposed to be upset when summer is over. There is this great depression that fills your over-worked belly and covers your tanned skin. My chlorinated hair was always the perfect shade of green by August and I knew that meant summer was over. But I was always secretly excited to begin a new year. I would, in my head and aloud, discuss the various scenarios that may play out on the first day of school. I would ultimately either be asked a great question or the teacher would comment on how interesting my name was or see that I was good at something. I would be praised and all the kids would follow. That never happened. I would sit there quietly; the teacher would say my name with a painful normalcy and then mention how the next kid has a name that means warrior in Greek and how cool that is. He'll be her favorite for a while - until he gets too cocky. I won't raise my hand for fear of delivering a wrong answer and the day will go by only to be described as "fine" or "okay" to my parents. Anyway, summer is basically over. I start my new job on Monday and I am away from children for a lovely two weeks at which time I will gain back my love of the little ones and be perfectly ready for them to tear me down again. I do not want to teach small children in my life. I only want to show them painting techniques for very brief stints of time and then leave them to their own devices with no fault of mine.
I can't wait until Christmas break.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Hey Liz! Found you from the new blogger feature that lets you click on words in your profile to find other people with your same interests, location, etc.

Anyway, saw your painting in TBC. Good job and congrats!

We should knit again soon.