21 July 2008


Two and a half weeks of work were put into this project. Not only did this project need the cutting of twenty seven blocks, but a huge amount of thought and research, a great deal of steady hand for the actual printing, and a little math. Today was my interview for Eye Gallery. I finished the piece in time for the photo shoot, though it is not the final printing I will do. I plan to make 15-20 37"x20" posters and a number of printings of individual blocks - all that plus an ABC book printed with text and the blocks themselves and stitch-bound. I guess I should explain the project before I confuse you with my ambitious printer behavior. This artwork includes 26 blocks each representing a letter of the alphabet through a noun of Bakersfield. Example: A is for agriculture, B is for Buck Owens, C is for Clock Tower. I am proud of my accomplishments, even though my odd perfectionism is forcing me to make about four of the blocks over completely (trust me, they need to be redone). The final printings will be available for sale after September 11th, the day of the Eye Gallery opening at the Bakersfield Museum of Art. Individual prints and books will be for sale on my Etsy site as soon as I can start all that up (right now, my Etsy site is highly neglected). So, here is the first printing - a horrible quality photo as I am only posting them because BT wanted to see (and also because I want to brag). See if you can figure out each block. Pretend it's a game. Don't mind that I positioned two the blocks incorrectly (a fact I only realized as the Bakersfield Californian reporter pointed it out). I'll post better photos as I take them.




AND... Vikki's Eye Gallery piece features my bicycle, Henry. She did a lovely job capturing his regal essence. Enjoy it here. As we say, with much anticipation, "Tonight...we ride!"

1 comment:

yvonne cavanagh said...

Love it, Liz. I can't wait to see it in the paper. What a marketing guru you are... making prints and books and all. You go!