30 April 2008

It seems to be art show season. Perhaps it's because it's nearing summer, but all of a sudden deadlines have approached. I managed to have two pieces finished, framed, and matted in time for submission into the Bakersfield College student art show - both of which were accepted and displayed at the opening last Thursday night. And, I also managed to quickly finish three submissions for the Visual Arts Festival small works show. This year the pieces had to be only 5 inches by 5 inches square, which seems smaller than I have ever worked. The three, all figures in charcoal (my favorite) were judged and one of the three were accepted. This is WONDERFUL news, seeing as how last year neither of the two pieces I entered were chosen (and I had high hopes). My concern was I would have yet another blow to my ego, but I have not. The piece that was accepted was my favorite and the other two - quite frankly - I was not very proud of. The piece, titled "Figurative I" (I hate naming works of art) will be displayed May 22 - August 28 in The Bakersfield Museum of Art's Cunningham Gallery. The reception will be on the 22nd and there will be wine, cheese, and dressing up of course.

I have remained busy, sewing like a fiend when I am not painting and drawing like a fiend, readying myself to launch a hefty-sized Etsy site. A few months ago I put my felt pins on the site, but decided to refrain from too much self-promotion until the site had more to offer. So, my date for launching: May 18. By then I will have included the bags and whatnot I have been busying myself with. Enjoy.

A little more self-promotion: I am running a week-long art workshop for children entitled "Thinking Artfully" along with a summer-long weekly class on seamstressing for children. See more information at the Studio7 blog. http://studio-seven.blogspot.com

No comments: